My mother always said that rock cakes were nourishing – she justified this because they were made with eggs, butter and dried fruit. People weren’t so fat in those days so maybe she was right.
This recipe makes 8 rock cakes
250 g self raising flour
1 level teaspoon baking powder
75 g butter or margarine
75 g granulated sugar
1 level tsp of mixed spice
100 g sultanas
50 g mixed peel
Demerara sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 220° C / Gas 7.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and mixed spice then rub in the butter or margarine until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the other dry ingredients.
- Beat the eggs and stir into the mixture to form a stiff dough. Add a little milk if needed.
- Pile into eight rough heaps on a baking tray lined with baking parchment paper. Sprinkle some Demerara sugar on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and crisp. The inside should not be raw but when you tap the bottom it should sound hollow.
- Remove onto a wire rack to cool.