This is a cheap, nutritious, delicious dish which is really good to make for supper. Hard boiled eggs coated in a thick cheese sauce and surrounded by creamy mashed potatoes.
500 g potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
Butter or margarine for mashing, and a little mil
Salt and pepper
25 g butter or margarine
25 g plain flour
300 milk semi skimmed milk
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
150 g grated cheese – strong is best
1. Boil the potatoes and eggs together for 15 minutes.
2. Drain the potatoes and put the eggs in cold water to keep the yolk yellow.
3. Mash the potatoes with butter, salt and pepper and enough milk to make soft.
4. Make the sauce. Put the butter, flour and milk in a small pan and heat and beat with a whisk until it thickens. Add 100 g of grated cheese and season with mustard. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
5. Peel the eggs, cut in half and place cut side facing down into an oven proof dish. Surround with mashed potato so that it looks like a nest. Pour the sauce over the eggs.
6. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
7. Cut the tomato into thin strips and arrange around the potato to decorate.
8. Put the dish under the grill and heat until the cheese bubbles and becomes golden.