This is an economical dish and to modernize it, use oil instead of lard and add some other ingredients such as frozen peas, chopped red pepper and sweetcorn.
We only ever used white pepper as black pepper was more expensive and sometimes looked like mouse droppings!
1 kilo of potatoes
Salt, white pepper,
20 g Butter or margarine
a little milk
Lard or oil for frying
200 g hard cheese Cheddar, Lancashire, Double Gloucester
Parsley for garnish
- Peel the potatoes, cut into quarters and cook in boiling water until they are soft – about 20 minutes.
- Drain off the water and mash with salt, pepper, butter or margarine and a little milk to soften.
- Meantime slice the onions and fry in lard or oil until just beginning to turn brown.
- Stir the onions into the mashed potato and add 150 g grated cheese.
- Taste and season some more if needed.
- Put the potato mixture into an oven proof dish and sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Slice the tomato and decorate the edges of the pie.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes in the oven 190°C/Gas 5 until the top is golden brown.
- Decorate with a sprig of parsley just before serving.