1 large onion – 200g
1 garlic clove
200g minced beef
2 tsp chilli sauce
1 tsp ground cumin
1 beef stock cube
200 g can chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoons tomato ketchup or purée
200 g can red kidney beans
1 small red pepper 70g
To serve – soured cream and plain boiled long grain rice, chopped coriander
- Cut the onion into very small dice. Crush the clove of garlic.
- Cut the pepper in half, remove the stalk and seeds, then chop into dice.
- Put the minced beef in a frying pan and break up and flatten with a wooden spoon so that the meat can fry evenly. Stir in the onion and the garlic.
- Heat the mixture, stirring all the time, and fry for 5-10 minutes until the meat turns brown and the onion softens and cooks.
- Crumble in the stock cube, add the chilli sauce and cumin and stir well.
- Stir in the tomatoes, and tomato ketchup and simmer for 15 minutes. Add water if the mixture begins to dry out.
- Stir in the red kidney beans into the mixture along with the red pepper. Cover with a lid and simmer for a further 10 minutes until the mixture is hot.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Leave the chilli con carne to stand so that the flavours can mingle.
- Serve with boiled rice, sour cream and chopped coriander leaves.