500 g Bramley cooking apples
50 g sugar for the apples
150 g granulated sugar for the crumble
300 g plain flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
150 g butter or margarine
- Heat the oven to 180°C / Gas mark 4.
- Cut the apples into quarters, take out the core and peel off the skin. Cut into smaller sections and place in an ovenproof dish with 50 g sugar.
- Place the flour, sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl and cut in small chunks of butter or margarine.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs, then spoon the crumble over the apples.
- Bake in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes until the crumble is golden brown.
- Serve with custard or cream.