This makes 10 small choux buns which you can fill with cream or cream cheese.
50g butter or margarine, plus extra for greasing
75g plain flour
pinch of salt
2 eggs, beaten
150ml whipped double cream
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6 and grease a baking tray or line with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter or margarine in a saucepan with the water then bring to the boil.
- Add the flour slowly into the boiling water and beat the pastry mixture vigorously with a wooden spoon until it’s smooth and leaves the bottom of the pan.
- Cool for 2-3 minutes then gradually beat in the eggs to make a smooth, shiny paste.
- Using a dessert spoon, put spoonfuls of the mixture on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until puffed up, golden brown and with a crisp bottom.
- When cooked, pierce holes in the top to let out the steam and bake for 2 mins.
- Leave them upside down on a wire rack to dry completely.
- Fill with whipped cream and sprinkle with icing sugar. Keep chilled.
Equipment – Baking tray, bowl, saucepan, wooden spoon, fork, cooling rack.