This was part of my Awful Offal lesson, trying to encourage students to like liver!
This is made from chicken livers which are cheap and delicious.
1 onion very finely chopped
120 g butter
2 crushed cloves garlic
450 g chicken livers – cut off bits
200 g bacon pieces
salt and black pepper
juniper berries and bay leaves (2017 ingredients)
1 tbs brandy – not allowed in the classroom!
- Fry the onion in 50 g butter until soft but not coloured.
- Add the garlic, bacon bits and chicken livers and fry until cooked through – you can use 2 frying pans and fry both at the same time
- Season with salt, pepper then whizz in the food processor with 30 g of butter. Stir in the brandy if used.
- Taste and season more and put the pate into a dish, stir in 5 juniper berries, pour over the remaining melted butter and decorate with juniper berries and bay leaves.
- Leave to cool then chill in the fridge.
- Serve with hot toast or crisp breads.