These meatballs can be served with tomato sauce and fresh pasta, made into Swedish meatballs, added to soup, or made into curry.
Change the beef to lamb, pork or chicken if you wish.
Serves 2-3 Makes 18 meatballs
250g minced beef 12% fat
1/2 small onion 80g
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 medium egg
2 slices of bread 40g
salt and plenty of black pepper
3 tablespoons oil
- Put the minced beef in a bowl and add the grated onion – do this quickly to prevent crying!
- Add the garlic and egg.
- Remove the crusts from the bread and whizz in a processor to make breadcrumbs. Add to the minced beef.
- Work in the salt, pepper and mixed herbs and make the mixture into a smooth ball.
- Divide into small meatballs weighing about 20-25 grams each. Make sure they are a similar size.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the meatballs. Cook, stirring and tossing to make sure the meatballs are browned on all sides. This takes about 8-10 minutes. Be careful not to crush them.
- Cook with tomato sauce and serve with rice, noodles or pasta. Top with chopped chives.