You can use many types of fruit on top of this tart – they are part of 5 a day.
Peaches, plums and nectarines are available for most of late spring and summer – arrange them carefully for best results.
About 500g sweet shortcrust pastry – pâte sucrée
Egg custard filling
150 ml double cream
3 fresh, ripe peaches
50g demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ Gas 4.
- Fit the rolled out pastry into a 20cm/8″ flan ring and bake blind until the pastry is crisp.
- Make the custard filling by whisking the eggs with the sugar until creamy and then whisking in the cream.
- Pour into the flan case and bake for 30 minutes until the mixture has just set.
- Slice the peaches and remove the stone. Place on top of the custard in a circle – make sure this is neatly done.
- Sprinkle over the Demerara sugar.
- Using a kitchen blowtorch, brown the peach slices and sugar until they caramelise. This gives colour and flavour to the dish.
- Skills – pastry making, setting, fruit preparation, caramelisation.