1 small onion very finely chopped 100g
200g risotto rice
1 litre boiling water
1-2 vegetable stock cubes
fresh or frozen peas 150g
25g grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
some pea shoots – optional
olive oil for topping
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan and fry the onion until soft but not browned.
- Stir in the rice and cook until hot – it turns white.
- Mix the stock cube into the boiling water and slowly add and stir until it is absorbed by the rice grains.
- You need to stir for 20 minutes as the rice cooks and becomes creamy and tender.
- Cook the fresh peas in boiling water for 5 minutes and drain, or use frozen peas.
- Add to the rice mixture and stir in the Parmesan cheese. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with a drizzle of olive oil and some pea shoots.