This is a very modern dish although it’s been made for many years in countries with plenty of fish, especially South America. Use to teach food science since the acid in the limes helps ‘cook’ the fish and denatures the protein.
Ceviche from Peru – serves 2
The raw fish is marinated in lemon or lime juices and served with fresh salad vegetables.
You need really fresh fish for this recipe – defrost a portion of frozen fish and use immediately.
100g portion of cod, polluck, salmon or other fish
2 spring onions, finely sliced
Juice and rind of 1 lemon or lime
A little salt
½ small chopped chilli with seeds removed
To serve – salad leaves and coriander leaves
- Cut the fish into thin slices and put in a bowl with spring onions.
- In a jam jar mix the lemon or lime juice and rind, salt and chilli.
- To serve pour the lemon or lime juice over the fish and mix to marinate.
- Leave for 2-3 minutes and see how the fish changes colour.
- Put the salad leaves and coriander on a plate and serve the ceviche fish and juices on top.
- This dish is ready for serving after 30 minutes when the flavours have mixed.