100g self raising flour
1/2 level teaspoon baking powder
30g butter or margarine
60 ml milk – you might need a bit more to mix to a dough
Add 50g sultanas for sweetness.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/Gas 7.
- Rub the butter or margarine into the flour and baking powder with your fingertips, to form breadcrumbs. Or use a food processor.
- Put this mixture in a bowl and stir in the milk with a table knife until the mixture forms a dough. Add sultanas at this stage.
- Quickly work the dough smooth with your hands and pat out onto non stick paper until it is 2.5cm thick. Avoid rolling out the dough.
- Cut with a 5 cm cutter or small glass.
- Remove excess dough and make into a ball.
- Brush each scone with a little milk and sprinkle on some sugar.
- Bake in the hot oven for 12 minutes – use the oven timer to check.
- When golden brown, remove scones onto a cooling rack.
- Best eaten within the day or frozen.
Different flavours – you can add grated cheese, sultanas, raisins, herbs to this mixture.