Mini potato and red pepper frittatas – Serves 2
Makes 6 small frittatas – change the vegetables to your choice.
100g potato unpeeled and finely chopped
1 tablespoon oil 30g
¼ small onion 30g, finely chopped
¼ red, yellow or green pepper 30g, finely chopped
salt and pepper
chopped chives or parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6.
- Fry the finely chopped potato in the oil in a pan with the finely chopped onions. Put a lid on the pan to speed up cooking.
- When soft – about 7-10 minutes – stir in the finely chopped pepper.
- Grease and line a deep muffin tin with non stick parchment paper.
- Whisk the eggs with salt and pepper.
- Put a little of the potato mixture into each muffin tin lined with baking parchment and pour over the egg.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until well risen and golden. 5 minutes before the end of cooking, sprinkle over the chopped herbs.
- Take out and cool then lift out the frittatas.
The science bit
The potato starch softens and gelatinises as it is fried.
The potato starch cells burst when heated and the uncooked starch mixes with the water in the potato.
The protein in the eggs changes state, denatures, coagulates and solidifies, setting the mixture.
Air trapped in the frittatas rises with the heat as it expands.