I think Lemon meringue pie is very hard to get right – the pastry, the filling and the meringue can all go wrong! High level skill to try.
175 g plain flour
20 g caster sugar
100 g butter or margarine
egg yolk and enough water to mix
2 lemons – zest and juice
25 g butter
75g caster sugar
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites
100 g caster sugar
- Rub the butter into the flour caster sugar until it looks like breadcrumbs. Or use a food processor. Stir in the egg you and add enough water to make a firm dough. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6.
- Line a 20 cm diameter flan tin with pastry, fill with paper and baking beans and bake blind for 15 minutes.
- Remove beans and paper and bake a further 5 minutes until pastry is crisp. Make sure there are no holes in the pastry for the filling to leach out.
- Turn the oven down to 160°C/Gas 3.
- Mix lemon juice with enough water to make 300ml.
- Blend the cornflour with 2 tbs of the liquid, pour in a saucepan with zest, butter and sugar and cook and stir until thick – about 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff and add the sugar slowly and carefully.
- Stir the egg yolks into the lemon sauce and spoon into the pastry case.
- Spoon over the meringue – you can lift into peaks with a fork.
- Bake in the oven until the meringue is crisp and slightly golden – about 30-40 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.