Sausage rolls with rough puff pastry
This is a very high fat recipe! Use shortcrust pastry for lower fat portions. Add seeds to increase the fibre.
Rough puff pastry
200g strong flour
200g butter/margarine or lard – you choose
about 125ml cold water
300g sausage meat
egg for glaze
You can add sesame seeds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds to the glaze.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/ Fan 180°C/ Gas 6.
- Cut the fat into chunks – butter/margarine or lard – and work in with a knife.
- Pour in most of the water and mix to a stiff dough. Cover with cling film and rest in fridge for 20 minutes.
- Turn onto a floured board, form into an oblong. Roll out to about 20cm x 40cm.
- Fold the top third down then the bottom third. Turn the dough in a quarter turn.
- Roll out 3 times more, cover and chill.
- Cut the pastry in half and roll into 2 oblongs.
- Spread the sausage meat down each length. Wet the sides of the pastry and roll up and seal.
- Use a fork to prick and seal the edges of the pastry.
- Brush with beaten egg for glaze and clip the top with scissors. Put on a baking tray.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden and crisp.