Soufflé omelette with cheese, tomatoes and pepperoni – Serves 2
This omelette is puffed up with beaten egg whites to make it light and fluffy.
50g grated cheese
½ teaspoon mixed herbs or fresh parsley
1 tablespoon oil
4 cherry tomatoes
50g pepperoni or salami sausage, sliced
- Separate the eggs into yolks and whites in 2 bowls.
- Put the cheese and herbs into the yolks, beat and season.
- Whisk the egg whites until they are light and fluffy.
Gently stir in the egg yolk mixture.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and tip in the egg mix.
Cook as the mixture sets then top with the tomatoes and slices of pepperoni.
- Place the pan under the grill – take care not to put the handle under the heat.
Grill until the top is puffed up and golden.
- Serve the soufflé omelette straight away with a salad.
The science bit
The egg protein denatures, coagulates and sets with the heat and this binds the ingredients together.
When the egg whites are whisked, the protein extends and surrounds and traps the air bubbles, creating a colloidal foam – a gas-in-liquid foam.
When the soufflé omelette is cooked, the air expands with heat and the egg proteins set and coagulate making a light, soft omelette.