My thanks to Robin, Lewes Community chef for teaching me this recipe – adapted for school use. Instead of fresh curry paste, I’m using Thai green curry paste as it’s easier for students to bring to school.
The dish is a soup and served with rice.
2 tbs Thai green curry paste
400ml coconut milk
200ml vegetable stock made with boiling water and stock cube
200g sweet potato, washed and cut into cubes
1 medium aubergine 150g cut into cubes
100g green beans washed and chopped into 2cm lengths
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped into chunks
100g spinach washed and chopped
1 dessert spoon sugar (10g)
- Put the curry paste into a large saucepan and heat gently for 1 minute.
- Add half the coconut milk and sugar and bring to the boil, stirring all the time.
- Add the vegetable stock, sweet potato and aubergine and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the beans and red pepper and the rest of the coconut milk and boil.
- Add the spinach and cook for 1 minute.
- Serve in large bowls and garnish with coriander leaves – or if possible shredded kaffir lime leaves and Thai sweet basil.
- You can serve some sticky rice as an accompaniment.
Thai green curry paste
4 cloves garlic
4 green chillies
1 bunch fresh coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 lemon grass stalk
5 cm peeled ginger
juice of 1 lime
2 tbs fish sauce
Chop the shallot, crush the garlic and ginger and put in food processor which chunks of lemon grass and chopped chilli.
Put the washed, chopped bunch of coriander into the processor and blitz until smooth paste.
Add lime juice and fish sauce and put in tupperware pot to use within next 2 weeks.