Couscous can be flavoured with delicious seasonal vegetables – choose a range of colours and chop the vegetables finely then check the seasoning.
This recipe serves 4 – you can eat it as an accompaniment with grilled halloumi cheese.
150 g dried couscous
200 ml boiling water
2 tablespoons olive oil
Choice of vegetables –
100 g cherry tomatoes, 80 g red pepper, 100 g cucumber, 200 g courgette, 4 spring onions
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
30 g sultanas
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons wine or cider vinegar
chopped parsley to decorate
- Put the couscous in a large bowl and stir in the boiling water with a fork. This helps the couscous absorb the water and keeps the grains separate.
- Mix in the olive oil.
- Cut the tomatoes in half, and remove the seeds and core from the pepper. Cook with the oil in a large frying pan for 10 minutes until the skins begin to blacken. Remove onto a plate.
- Prepare the cucumber by removing the skin and cutting into very fine dice. Finely slice the spring onion.
- Grate the courgette and stir into the empty frying pan – use the juices from the tomatoes to stir and cook the courgette until soft.
- Chop the tomatoes and pepper finely and add to the couscous.
- Stir in the cucumber, courgette, spring onions and sultanas.
- Season and flavour with salt, pepper and vinegar.
- Serve decorated with chopped parsley.
Skills – tasting, knife skills, preparing vegetables, using cooker, frying, mixing.
This shows the Nutrition analysis from Nutrition Program
This shows the Recipe sheet
This is the Star Profile to show the results and how to improve the recipe